Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mediterranean Meatloaf

I love mediterranean food. I had some ground turkey in the fridge and was wanting something yummy to eat. Here is my brainstorm on my road home from school! Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS
1 package ground turkey
1 box chopped frozen spinach
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped or minced
2/3 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
olive oil
Couple splashes white wine or brandy
salt
pepper
1 small package tomato basil reduced fat feta cheese crumbled
2/3 cup oatmeal ground fine in a blender

Saute onion and garlic in a little olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Once lightly browned, add spinach and continue to cook until heated through. Add sundried tomatoes and wine/brandy, salt, pepper and oregano.
Take off the burner and let cool. Once cool, mix half of the spinach mixture with the ground turkey, feta cheese and half of the ground oatmeal. Add more spinach and oatmeal as needed to give it a good consistency. Make sure there is enough spinach mixture to be evenly distributed throughout the meat. Shape into a loaf shape and cook in a 350 degree oven for 45 - 60 minutes or until cooked through.

I added my extra spinach mixture to some whole wheat couscous that I cooked to serve as a side dish. Made a great spin on the regular couscous we eat.

No comments: