Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sweet Potato Burritos with Chili-Lime Cream Sauce

I got this burrito recipe from my friend Christina who got it from Allrecipes. Got that?? I, of course, added my own touches and spices like most cooks do. This is written how I made it. You can also do a search at Allrecipes for Sweet Potato Burritos. The recipe there is a bit different. I think part of the fun of cooking is taking recipes and making them your own!

I wanted a sauce to go with them other than just plain sour cream and I didn't think salsa would taste quite right. I love the flavor combination of chili pepper and lime, so I based a sauce around those flavors. It ended up working really well with these burritoes!

Although this sounds like a super weird combination, it was really yummy. Interesting flavors and other than baking off the sweet potatoes last night when I was cooking some thing else (time-saving tip from Christina). I assembled these (7 minutes) and cooked them (20 minutes) after church today. Beginning to table~ less than 30 minutes. They were yummy, filling and filled with great vitamins (and really budget friendly too~I think the entire meal cost me less than $8!!!!)

INGREDIENTS:
Sweet Potato Burritos
2 large sweet potatoes
1 can fat-free refried beans
1 pkg. (2 cup) shredded 2 % reduced fat Mexican Cheese
1 pkg. whole wheat tortillas
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. chili pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Bake sweet potatoes until tender and oozing. (I did these the night before and just left them in their skins in the refrigerator until I needed them - you could probably do this up to 2 days in advance. )

Scoop out sweet potato flesh and mash lightly once cooked.

Mix can of refried beans with the listed spices.

Assemble the burritos in the following order: Beans, sweet potato, cheese. 1 can of beans and 1 package of cheese with the sweet potatoes made 6 burritos with a little cheese and sweet potatoes left over.

Place burritos seam side down in a baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Brush the tops of the burritos with some olive or canola oil. Just a little bit.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

Chili-Lime Cream Sauce
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper (added to spicy preference and to taste)
zest of one lime
juice of 1/2 a lime
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper.

Zest a lime.
This is my zester, it is super easy to use and makes really pretty zest strings!
Add zest to the sour cream. Add the juice of 1/2 the lime. Stir in remaining ingredients. Chill until ready to serve.

Enjoy this yummy - but totally different type of burrito. If you like sweet potatoes, I promise you will love these burritos! The Chili-lime cream sauce adds another great layer of flavors. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

SherryQ said...

This sounds YUMmmy! I am going to try this next week - but no lactose for us, so we'll substitute with yogurt cheese, and yogurt for the base of the lime sauce - and no gluten for us, so I'll either use rice wraps or white corn tortillas. I'll let you know how it turns out! Thank you for sharing this, Kim :)

CzaMama said...

These sound very interesting, Kim! I will have to add it to the list.

As for Quinones Family...if you cannot do lactose (like we can't) you can use *aged* chedder cheese, the aging process works all of those sugars out of the milk.