Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Jambalaya Beans and Rice

I've been visiting several different cooking blogs and have realized that most include pictures. So here is my first attempt at that. I didn't take pictures of all the steps. I'll try to get better about that. I'd love some input on it all!

With this dish I've taken a traditional Jambalaya type recipe and increased the fiber by adding beans and serving with brown rice. Also using low-fat turkey sausage and other low-fat meats like chicken breasts and shrimp give lots of protein without upping the fat content. I cook the brown rice with 1/2 water and 1/2 fat-free chicken broth and omit the butter. Great flavor, no added fat!
This recipe was made in about 15 minutes with 30 minutes simmer time. If you start the rice first, it should all be done just about the same time.
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
1 lb. Turkey Smoked Sausage
2 cans favorite beans (I found a new type that had black, red and pinto beans all together)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 pepper sliced
1/2 onion sliced
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. ground red pepper
2 bay leaves
4 - 5 dashes of hot sauce (add more if you like it hot!)

DIRECTIONS
Slice turkey sausage on the diagonal. (of course my pieces didn't all get cut that way...I was in a hurry!)
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
Cut peppers, onions and mince garlic. I was lazy and didn't want to take the time to chop them all up. These are some of my favorite time savers.
Add peppers, onions and garlic to the skillet and cook until onions are translucent and the peppers are slightly browned on the edges. Add sausage to the skillet and cook until the pieces are slightly browned. Add remaining ingredients and cook for about 30 minutes. You can also add cut up chicken or peeled shrimp if you like. I had some leftover chicken and added it. Serve on top of some brown rice. Enjoy!

No comments: